Thursday, November 21, 2013

WISE brought out the Leader in me
My name is Askale Negash.  I am a member of one of the Saving and Credit Cooperatives (SACCOs) organized by Women in Self Employment (WISE) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.  I became a member of the cooperative in the year 2000.  I was a housewife before joining the cooperative and had no income of my own.  The dual benefits I obtained from the SACCO include the opportunity to gain various business skill trainings that led me join the micro-business sector in addition to the different cycle loans I have taken from the cooperative that helped me to expand my business so as to become a successful and productive business woman. My family’s basic financial problems were resolved through the income generated by the business and I was able to overcome poverty. 
The Leadership trainings I obtained from WISE equipped me with better self-esteem and confidence eventually getting me elected as a Chairperson for my SACCO which also paved the way for my becoming a coordinator for the Local Women’s Association for which I also get monthly payment.             

Additionally, I gave voluntary service to orphan children together with people in my community.  I am also able to continue with my education which I impeded long ago and I am now in 8th grade. 

WISE equipped me with all the courage I needed that nurtured and helped me to get out of the kitchen.
Askale Negash, Andenet SACCO Kirkos Sub-City


Women in Self Employment (WISE) is one of the four partner institutes of the African Centers of Excellence (ACE) for Women's Leadership program run by the Institute of International Education (IIE) , Ethiopia Office.

For more on IIE , ACE or WISE please follow the links below.

No comments:

Post a Comment